Quiche

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Saturday nights are usually reserved for nights out for dinner.  In fact, I don't remember the last time we stayed in on a Saturday and cooked.  With the snow still a fallin' we decided that tonight we should forgoe our usually Saturday plans and stay home.  

After a long day of cooking sauce and lasagna, a huge gourmet meal was definitely not in the picture.  I decided to feed leftovers from culinary school to my dad and brother and cook a light quiche to have later on.  I love love love quiche.. it was a staple go-to dinner that I made all the time in college.  Here's my recipe that I've adjusted over the years:

1 9" whole wheat pie crust (store bought or homemade)--today I used a store bought crust!
1 wheel laughing cow garlic and herb cheese (or any flavor--today I used regular swiss)
1/3 pint (or a large handful) cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
3 eggs
1 cup half and half
1 pinch salt
fresh ground pepper
2 T. crumbled gorgonzola

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the laughing cow cheese on the bottom of the crust.  Add cherry tomatoes and broccoli.  Whisk eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper.  Add the egg mixture to the pie shell.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Sprinkle with gorgonzola and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the eggs are set.  Let the pie sit for at least 10 minutes before slicing.  I enjoy my slice topped with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for heat!

The best thing about this quiche is you can add whatever vegetable or meat you'd like and get creative with it.  I've also made this quiche with spinach and sundried tomatoes.  You could even switch up the cheeses and add some bacon for crunch!

My brother wanted to be pictured in the blog, so here he is enjoying some of my quiche!


Here's a sloppy pic of my second slice.  I have to learn to be more patient and take pictures of food before digging in!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

La Bella Cucina Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino