Easter Meat Pie

Friday, April 2, 2010

Every Easter my family enjoys an Easter meat pie that we usually buy at a really good Italian bakery. These pies are filled with Italian meat and cheeses and are usually very expensive. This year I thought it would make more sense to just make it myself.

I was planning on using the recipe for Chef Chad's Pizza Rustica from his recreational Easter class. The recipe calls for the same dough as the ricotta pie that I made earlier this week. I froze the dough on Monday and took it out today to defrost for my pie.

As I went to roll out the dough it started falling apart and didn't have a great texture. I got frustrated and threw it out and decided to make a different dough. This other dough is from an old cookbook we had laying around. I think this one will be more similar to the pie we usually get from the bakery.

-2 cups all purpose flour
-1 tsp. baking powder
-3 large eggs (I used 2 jumbo--all I had)
-2 T. canola oil
-2 T. water

1. Combine the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Form a well in the middle.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, oil and water. Gradually pour into the well. Mix to incorporate until the dough forms a ball.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Knead the dough until smooth and refrigerate until ready to use.

I still used Chef Chad's filling for his Pizza Rustica:
-2 cups fresh ricotta
-8 oz. fresh mozzarella
-1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
-1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
-1/2 cup parmesan
-3 large eggs (I used 2 jumbo again..)
-Assorted Italian meats, chopped (I used hot & sweet soppresata, prosciuto, salami, and capicola)

1. Combine all ingredients except for the meat.
2. Roll out half of the dough to fit a 9-inch (deep) pie dish. Press into the pie dish and poke holes in the bottom with a fork.
3. Layer in about 1/3 of the cheese mixture and spread evenly. Top with half of the chopped meats. Continue with another layer of cheese and meat, ending with the last 1/3 of the cheese.
4. Roll out the other dough and place on top. Press and crimp the edges. Brush the top with egg was and cut some slits to let out steam while baking.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until golden.

Layer one of the pie:

The last layer added in:

Ready to go in the oven!

The pie turned out wonderful! I can't wait to cut into it on Easter!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

La Bella Cucina Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino