Lesson 11: Beef Fabrication....aka STEAK!

Monday, November 23, 2009
















I really feel like we're moving along so fast in module 1!  Every day we're working with a new protein and I'm learning SO much!  We haven't been doing much cooking on our own yet..just simple techniques and recipes, but every day is seriously a new adventure!

After chopping our mirepoix and receiving a lecture from Chef about stocks and beef, we began fabricating our first cuts of beef.  First, we portioned out and trimmed strip steaks (the picture above on the right).  Next, we trimmed some flank steak.  On the left is a picture of Dana and Emily cutting and trimming (and eating) the tenderloin filet's that we had for lunch!  

While this was all going on, chicken and duck stocks were simmering away on the stoves.  The stocks smelled sooooooo good.  The next free weekend I have I definitely want to make a big batch of stock to have in.  I never realized how important it is as a medium to a dish.  And it's soo easy!  There's no real measurement or recipe involved and every stock is different.  Here's a picture of our overflowing pot of duck stock:

Finally it was time to cook!  Our previously par boiled potatoes were sauteed, and Chef showed us how to make wonderful, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes.  I saw how much butter and cream he put in... and I'll just say it was A LOT. By no means was this a healthy potato dish haha!  I was in charge of making the steaks for my table.. I heated oil in a saute pan over high heat and added our 6 oz filet's.  They cooked for 4 minutes on each side and were perfectly medium rare:

Almost time for our Monday lunch of steak and potatoes!  Here's Emily slicing up some warm French bread:

I was a very full girl on my train ride home.  Chef also whipped up French onion soup with some duck stock and sauteed onions, so I brought that home..along with some of the mashed potatoes and leftover bread!

When I got home I was put to work again!  I brined the Thanksgiving turkey.. Our turkey is HUGE--21 pounds! I made a simple brine (Anne Burrel's recipe) with celery, onion, carrots, rosemary, sage, bay leaves, garlic, water, apple cider, salt, and sugar.. it's now all set to absorb some wonderful flavors until I take it out on Wednesday :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

La Bella Cucina Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino