Penne with shrimp and tomatoes

Monday, November 2, 2009


Tonight I didn't plan on cooking because I didn't get home until late and me and my parents had leftover pizza from last night.  While we were eating our pizza my brother called to say he was coming home to watch the yankees game.  Of course, he expects dinner when he gets here.... so it was my job to figure out something to cook for him.  Luckily, I LOVE figuring out my own recipes with whatever we have on hand.  I took out some shrimp from the freezer to defrost and checked the cabinets to see what i can add to this shrimp dish.  Here's the recipe that I came up with...and I must say it was delicious, and I'm not even a huge fan of shrimp

1/2 lb. whole wheat penne
1 15 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1/2 chopped onion
1 cup cleaned and de-veined shrimp
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
salt & pepper
1/2 cup parmesan
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley

Boil a pot of water for the pasta.  Season the water generously with salt before adding the pasta and cook until al dente.  Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large saute pan.  Add the garlic and onion and saute until slightly browned and translucent.  Add the shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper.  (Taste it to adjust seasonings).. When the pasta is done, add it to the shrimp mixture.  Depending on the thickness of the sauce, you may need to add a ladle or 2  of pasta water. I added 1 large ladle.  Stir in the parmesan and parsley.  Serve with extra parmesan and crushed red pepper on the side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

La Bella Cucina Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino